IS KENDRICK LAMAR THE G.O.A.T ?

Kung Fu Kenny have amass an air tight portfolio for himself to be able to present a legit argument to be the greatest of all time right now. Just like all the other Goats before him, Jay Z, Nas, 2Pac, Biggie and Rakim, Kendrick had a slow burn of success as far as record sells and mass appeal are concerned. With barely any main stream radio airplay, Kung Fu Kenny was able to build his base project by project. Lets compare the slow grind of the Goats prior to Kendrick and we’ll see how he rose to Goat status; and mind you being a Goat had very little to do with massive record sales but it helps. When Rakim dropped in 1987, Rap artist like Kool Moe Dee and LL Cool J was battling out to see who was the best MC. Rakim came in with a new style and flow which essentially shut down that argument. There where others that had mass appeal like Run DMC and The Beastie Boys but Rakim changed the game for ever. Rakim’s reign lasted until 1994 when Biggie Smalls dropped Ready To Die. Biggie’s voice and flow was so cold it shifted the culture. Biggie didn’t have the success like Snoop Dogg selling 5 million copies of his debut album “Doggystyle” or Mc Hammer selling 10 mil records . Biggie Slowly sold 2mil copies of his 1st album Ready To Die on the strength of his remixes and his Hype Williams directed videos. Like Kendrick Lamar, Biggie was winning us over with each video and every feature he appeared on; which wasn’t many, just to give you an idea on how cold Biggie  was. Every time Biggie dropped a song, it was , fresh, smooth and immaculate. Jay Z is another Goat that had a slow burn early on in his career. Hov was consistently being out sold by Ja Rule, DMX , Eminem and Nelly. We all knew Jay’s word play was serious and he had to challenge  Nas to prove he reign supreme and worthy of the crown. Like Nas’s debut iLLmatic, another Goat in his own right ,  Kendrick had legendary producers Just Blaze, Pharrell Williams and Dr. Dre on his Major Debut. Even though Drake’s Take Care came out almost a year earlier, it quickly went gold and over lapped the charts Kendrick and his other contemporaries were on. Here is the Highest first-week sales
List of top ten albums released in 2012 according to first-week home market sales, as of December 30, 2012
Number Album Artist 1st-week sales 1st-week position Refs
1 Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded Nicki Minaj 253,000 1 [247]
2 Good Kid, M.A.A.D City Kendrick Lamar 242,000 2 [248]
3 God Forgives, I Don’t Rick Ross 218,000 1 [249]
4 Cruel Summer GOOD Music 205,000 2 [250]
5 Trouble Man: Heavy Is the Head T.I. 179,000 2 [251]
6 Dreams & Nightmares Meek Mill 165,000 2 [252]
7 Life Is Good Nas 149,000 1 [253]
8 Based on a T.R.U. Story 2 Chainz 147,000 1 [254]
9 O.N.I.F.C. Wiz Khalifa 141,000 2 [255]
10 PLUTO, FUTURE

I should note, Nicki And Future dropped twice that year while enjoying mass appeal success on the radio and video. As a matter of fact, most of these artist over shadowed Kendrick due to heavy radio rotation . The mass appeal Meek, Future and others enjoyed, gave the perception that they were more successful than Kendrick Lamar. On March 2015, Kendrick dropped To Pimp a Butter Fly without notice, selling over 320K the first week. It took a full year for pimp to sell 1mil. Drake’s, “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” came out in Feb. (2015) selling  495,000 but quickly went platinum two months later.  Just like Biggie, Kendrick endured a slow burn success. With the record-breaking release of “Damn”, Kung Fu Kenny tied in what he does best and gave us a digestible, thought-provoking piece of art without compromising his craft and depth. Kendrick gave us straight hardcore raps from Good Kid, some smooth gems of Pimp and pushed the envelope on “Damn” (601K first week) . It took guts and discipline for what Kendrick was able to pull off while Drake, His direct competition, at the height of his popularity and success choose to play it safe by going 90% pop; The other 10% went to doing the safe trap beats. All these intangibles are in my opinion is what makes Kendrick Lamar The G.O.A.T. The other factor that plays into my vote for Kendrick’s Goat status, 90% of the hip hop artists that came out with him in 2012, while they maintain some level of mass appeal, ( Nicki Minaj, Meek Mill, Future and Rick Ross ) none of them have his success, Grammys and other accolades he’s amassed since. The only Goat that’s in his way is Hov.

THE GOATS YR BOOK